Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Little Princess comes to visit...


Monday, January 21, 2008
Little Princess and her mother joined Granddaddy and me for breakfast this morning. Mommy later went to work (She called herself working, but I suspect she was really enjoying some much needed time off, and I call it playing.) and Little Princess enjoyed joining us for our usual morning walk with my sister and her husband. She was the same usual solemn faced little girl she is around other people besides us, until the very end when I started to get her bundled up in her coat once again to brave the cold, cold outside. Then she decided it would be fun to giggle and act her silly self. I also suspect the mention of eating Chick-Fil-A also had something to do with bringing out her good mood.

Once in the car she was back to normal. She did have a problem fighting off sleep because she got up early this morning and Mommy said she woke several times in the night.

Since she enjoys Chick-A-Lay so much we got some at the mall before we went back home. At dinner she ate full four pieces of nuggets, along with some of my coleslaw, which promptly broke her face out again. At least that is what I think may have been the culprit. The mayonnaise is probably what causes it, but she really enjoys that slaw. I did cook her some green beans and gave her some oranges, etc. to go with her meal.

She played around for a little while and then it was time for her to take a nap. She wanted to go to her room, but when Granddaddy put her in her bed she wasn’t happy. She also knew the routine. She knew we needed to turn on the little heater in her room to keep her warm, cut on the noise maker, the monitor, etc. Then she and I went back up to the front and I rocked her for a while, but only after I had turned on the satellite to the music station. She has a hard time and fights me sometimes, but she finally gave it up and I got her down without a lot of problem. Only she woke up an hour later. Not two hours like I had thought she would sleep, but one hour. She was up and moving again for the rest of the day.

While I was trying to get her to go to sleep she kept pointing over to the table and doing a little mashing motion with her hand. She was wanting me to hand her something…Oh, yes, I see, she wanted the remote control to the television. Maybe it wasn’t on the right music for her. I told her no, we would leave it on that channel, and then she settled down. But it was a bit funny because she knew what she wanted. A short footnote here: Her mommy never lets her watch television, so maybe she was thinking we could tune it on to another channel that had some people on it. Nope, sorry, sweet girl, those are the rules. No TV for you.

Some of the other things that happened during her stay, not in any particular order:
(a) She loves to stand in the little rocking chair I bought several weeks ago. Yes, stand. She’s learned she can twist around and then find herself in a good position to stand. I stood by her thinking surely she would understand she can fall. Then one time I was too far away, and she felt the need to stand in spite of everything. I think she was trying to get back down, but somehow she managed to fall backwards flat on her little back. She knew enough to hold that head up so she didn’t hit it, but she scared herself enough to cry about it. And then that caused Grandmomma to have to tell her the famous little poem my mother used to tell me when I was a little girl and I passed on to her mother: (It's meant to instill guilt in the said guilty child! And it works!)
The Little Robin
There was a little robin, who lived outside the door
He wanted to go inside and hop upon the floor.
“Oh no”, said his mother,” you stay right here with me,
For little birds are safer, sitting in a tree.”
“Oh no” thought the little robin, as he gave his tail a fling,
“I don’t think old folks know quite everything.”
And down he flew and kitty seized him
Before he could even blink.
“Oh my” said the little robin,” I just didn’t think.”

Her Mommy had heard that little poem so frequently as a child that as soon as she called and I answered by finishing up with, "I just didn’t think," she knew our little robin had done something that required The Poem. "Ut oh, what did she do?"

I can tell this is only going to be the beginning of the many, many times Little Princess will hear that poem and probably learn that it by heart.

For some reason the other siblings don't seem to remember that poem. does that mean my mother felt I was the only one who really needed to learn to feel guilty, or did it just mean they didn't listen to their mother? I think it was the latter.

Thank goodness The Little Princess wasn’t hurt, but she was a bit more careful about standing in that chair. At least this trip. Sometimes experience is the best teacher. We just don’t want any serious injuries to learn a lesson.

(b) Granddaddy gives The Little Princess far too many goodies much to her mommy’s dismay, but she tries to keep her in line when she’s home. One of the fun things Granddaddy has given her is marshmallows. She found a bag of cotton balls in “her supplies” and took first one bag and then the other over to Granddaddy. She related marshmallows to Granddaddy, and since the cotton balls look very much like marshmallows, of course she knew Granddaddy would share. At least she took them to Granddaddy rather than trying to eat them by herself. Good job, Little Princess.

(c) I decided to play ‘possum with The Little Princess. I let her think I was fast asleep just to see what she would do. She got really close to me, peeking to see if she could see whether my eyes were opened or closed. I kept them just a tiny bit open so I could see as she decided what she should get into next. She would do something, come back and check and find something else to do. Just keeping a check on Grandmomma. Nothing dangerous, just sneaky like playing with the computer mouse on the desk, the remote control, the telephone, etc. When she headed for the rocking chair I had to come alive once again. She should have known better!

(d) Speaking of the computer mouse…she learned a few weeks/months ago she could make the big computer screen go wild if she pounded on the keyboard. Granddaddy finally wised up and disconnected the keyboard wire. No need to leave to chance the possibility of her erasing some very precious pictures we’ve made of her. (She loves seeing the fish on the computer screen. We've named them all after each of the grandchildren and her fish is pink, of course. The others are named according to their size. We have to talk about them everytime she comes.)

(e) She and I played with a few different things today including our tea set. It was time for a snack so we brought out the animal cookies and had our pretend tea. She hasn’t learned yet not to throw the fine plastic china plates and cups, but that will come in time, I’m sure. Fisher-Price makes some good heavy duty plastic china tea sets just for that reason, I’m sure.

(f) I pulled out an old Playschool ABC board that I had bought a few years ago for the grandsons to play with.


It was one of my garage sale finds. It is an over-sized board with magnet backgrounds underneath each stenciled ABC letter. Little Princess would hand me each letter, I would put it into it’s proper place and tell her the letter. She would also tell me something after she handed it to me to put in it’s place…heeheehee. She was naming the letter for me, I'm sure. Then after all the letters were on the board she would take each one off and put it back in its little storage space, of course, with me calling out the letter again. The fun thing I noticed on each ABC there were little dots for teaching blind children their ABCs. How times have changed over the years.




Teddy also needed to learn his ABCs so later in the afternoon he had to sit by Grandmomma while she told him what each letter was. This was our second ABC lesson of the day because Little Princess was sure she already knew them all, but Teddy didn’t a lot of attention the first go around.

Guess what Grandmomma accidently found on the back side of the board? A chalkboard! So, of course we had to pull out the chalks. Grandmomma had more fun with the chalkboard than The Little Princess. Little Princess had much more fun pulling the multi-colored rectangles of pink, blue, green, and yellow from the chalk box…one by one and dumping them on the floor!


(g) I’m sure when The Little Princess is grown, she will appreciate me posting this for possibly the world to see, but it’s just too precious to pass up. Forgive me, sweet girl. She has a few tummy problems at times and today was one of those times. I’ve tried to teach her when she feels she needs to go potty, grab both my hands, squeeze hard and then try to push as hard as she can. (Training for childbirth can never start too soon, you know.) So, today I already had something in one of my hands so she took it from me and put it aside and grabbed both my hands and strained as hard as she could. She did this several times. Didn’t help, but she tried, and she was so very cute. She remembered exactly what I had told her.

(h) Since she had learned that so fast, I decided to get the potty chair out to see if she was interested in using it. There is a small problem with the potty chair besides its being blue. It is designed for little boys since that is what we had before she came along. There is a little undetachable deflector on the potty part. Anyway, it was in her way and she would have nothing to do with using the little potty. Guess she isn’t ready yet for the purpose it was made.

However, she did find that little potty to be quite fascinating to….stand in. In goes the first foot. No room for the second foot. I sure was glad it was empty. She may be a challenge to potty train, Mommy!

(i) Guess what I found today? Another little toothy coming in on the bottom on her right side. Yep, probably one of the reasons she has had for not sleeping lately. I couldn’t see the other sides, top or bottom. I only happened to see that one because she opened her little mouth in a great big yawn earlier this morning! There are some advantages to have a sleepy baby. Now she has nine visible little teeth.

(j) Little Princess had been a perfect little angel all day and even after her mommy got home, until her mommy wanted to change her diaper. Then came the melt down. She was so pitiful. Such a fit for a little girl. She finally got herself together, after Mommy won the battle.

And then Mommy had to use the booger-getter and that didn't make her happy. So as soon as Mommy was finished Little Princess came to Grandmomma for comfort. Yep, gotta love being a Grandmomma.

She was a very good little girl today, but I’ll bet she was asleep before they reached the first stop sign.

5 comments:

Mommy Belle said...

Very sweet! I didn't know you had a little potty there. That is probably a good thing. One of the pamplets from the pediatrician's office recommends buying a little potty to use to teach them instead of using the little toilet seat that goes over the adult toilet seat. It makes sense to me to use a little potty because it is there size.

I read that children are typically ready to potty train between 18 and 26 months. I guess 26 months would be more in line for boys since I hear they typically potty train later. She's already fascinated at watching her Daddy go pee-pee. She's thinks it is hilarious, and I try to tell her that she cannot pee standing up. Well, I tell her that she "can" because girls can do anything that boys can do, but it is a lot harder than just sitting down. Of course, I think she's going to need to stop watching her Daddy go pee pee before long.

Mommy Belle said...

I just saw your pics. Did you finally figure out how to add them? Where are the potty pictures?

Anonymous said...

I didn't get any of the potty because Granddaddy didn't have a card in the camera. We'll try to stage it again tomorrow. It was priceless, however. Wish we had the original. No wonder she didn't want to sit on the potty. She thought she was supposed to stand up? Oh, I can see a major problem potty training her. She's going to be so confused she'll need therapy for years to come! You better be saving your money. You and Daddy have created major problems for the poor little thing.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday was the usual day for the Little Princess! Granddaddy falling asleep, and missing some of those things she got into. Got some good pictures, and the background was dark, but the main subject turned out great! And she said Gran da d a couple of times too! She is a doll!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, she did. She dedicated yesterday to trying to get her dan-dada's name down right. I'm not sure that's how it came out, but she kept working on it and just smiled so big when she got it like she wanted it. She loves her granddaddy! Little stinkpot!