Little Princess told her Mommy this morning that she wanted to go see Grandmomma and Granddaddy, so they joined us at Granddaddy's favorite seafood place, Captain D's. Yuck! To the food, not to seeing Little Princess!
Mommy was lucky today because they had a special on a child's menu. Mommy's all about specials! The price was $0.00 for the kids meal. So Mommy ordered shrimp, and okra for her and Granddaddy added macaroni and cheese on his plate so she could have some of it. Mommy says Little Princess doesn't like mac and cheese. Hmm. she's always liked it with us! So Grandmomma shared some of her baked potato, and she got some of Granddaddy's mac and cheese. Quite a bit of it. And she loved it more than mommy's choice of okra. She did eat some of the shrimp. Mommy offered her some hush puppy. She picked it up from her mat, gave me 'that look' ("You had better be ready to catch this, because it's going on the floor; it's not staying on my mat!"), and then she dropped it into my waiting hand.
Oh, and notice I said she handed it to me. That's because dear Granddaddy quite consciously chose to sit on the inside of the table today. Very strange. Obviously he didn't want to sit next to the Little Princess?
Mommy gave The Little Princess some water from that cool Captain D's cup they gave her, complete with a straw! That is so much fun, having your very own paper cup with a lid you can remove with your teeth (again and again) and a straw that you love to remove from the cup! And put back in again. And take back out. And put back in... And tip over into your chair. By this time the hole in the top of the cup is gigantic. No problem...more water can escape this way.
Her Mom, and I think I have too, have talked about being the keeper of the paci. Well, today I was honored by being the keeper of her precious paper cup. I was sitting on her left side, but that didn't bother her, she could just pass it over to that side to me. If I put it down onto the table, she would give me a look, pick up the cup and hand it back to me. Everytime. She looks me straight in the eye. 'Give me eye contact, Grandmomma, give me some eye contact. Focus, Grandmomma, focus. Obviously, you don't understand the rules of this game. You are not supposed to put the cup onto the table. Just hold it until I'm ready for it, Grandmother. This is your assigned task.' (This really is the look she can give me. She and I really do have an understanding of each other. I just don't always acknowledge what she's trying to tell me, and she has to get my attention!)
She did finally give it to her Mommy one time, I think. It's very difficult to be right handed and try to hold a cup with your right hand and still eat. I did get a little more efficient eating with my left hand a few years back when I broke my right hand/wrist, but I haven't had a lot of practice and didn't really need it before now.
One time Mommy looked over and saw her eating a lemon. "Did you give her that lemon?" she demands. "Yep, wasn't it alright?" "I guess." Little Princess didn't see a thing wrong with it. She was enjoying it. Juice running all down her sweet little arms and onto her pretty little outfit.
Oh, by the way, Mommy, at Chick-fil-a the other night she had a couple of bites of...slaw... which she enjoyed and wanted more, but since Grandmomma's rule is you don't share food with anyone else once someone (in this case me) has eaten out of it, she was left out of additional spoonsful, spoonfuls, whatever. And last week when she came and spent the night, she had a spoonful or two of....that horrible tasting buttermilk Grandmomma loves so much. And she didn't make a face at it, either. OK, so it was only her baby spoon dipped into it. It was still a tasty amount for a little Princess.
I'm watched much too closely to get away with much, though. When I have a chance to get Little Princess on our own, away from the prying eyes of her mommy...Well, let's just say, there's no telling what she can learn! Or eat! Or do!
Later in the day, back at the house again, Mommy had left her cup in Little Princesses' direct line. She walked back and forth removing that straw from that cup and taking it to her mommy and putting it back in again. I think she even carried the cup as well as the straw. Anyway, it was something that kept her quite busy walking back and forth. She burned a few calories between that cup and straw and her mommy!
Another time she picked up the little Charlie Brown Dictionary that was once loved by her uncle and her mommy when they were growing up. She enjoys looking at that dictionary so much. She brought it over to me to read to her.
After her mommy whined a while about being left out, Little Princess wiggled around until turned her back to Mommy. Just as I was basking in the glory of having her choose me over her mother, she managed to wiggle her way, backwards, right over into her mommy's lap. Little traitor!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment