Today Mommy needed to do some work at home and later planned to meet her high school friend for dinner, so we went to their house to keep The Little Princess.
We decided to take a walk around the neighborhood since we’ve had some really nice weather around here lately, so it was drag out the stroller, pack up a baby and get on the move. The hills around their house are pretty treacherous when you aren’t used to them, especially when you’re pushing a stroller with a twenty something pound baby uphill. Granddaddy and I took turns and wondered how in the world either one of us could have forgotten how steep that particular hill was as we tackled it.
There were plenty of squirrels out hiding their stash of nuts for the upcoming winter, if we do get one. Little Princess was totally entertained just watching them scampering around in the road, over the lawns, up the trees. Down the street a bit a neighbor had announced the birth of a new baby boy. There was a heart shaped blue balloon on their mailbox. She immediately spotted that balloon. She loves those balloons and points them out every time she sees one. She and I continued our walk after we dropped Granddaddy off at the house. She wasn’t finished with her walk, even if he was.
She did try to find her Mommy while we were in the house. Mommy had to close the doors tight to keep us out when she needed to be on the phone, but she opened them so Little Princess could have access to her if she needed to. I asked her where she was going when she headed in Mommy’s direction. She kept walking, waved her hands bye bye and left me standing in her dust. Without a backwards look. Sometimes you just need to know your Mommy is within “finding” distance if you need her. Then she was satisfied to leave her to play again.
The first time I changed her diaper, she wanted me to see something behind me. She kept pointing and telling me something. I put her down, looked back and there was the beautiful piece of furniture her Daddy had made for her for Christmas. I had walked into the room and completely forgotten he had moved it up from the workshop. I believe she was so proud of it she wanted me to acknowledge it was in her room. You had to be there to believe it, too, I guess, but I know that’s what she wanted. She’s so smart! Have I said that before?
We bundled her up (changed her clothes, put on her good socks and shoes, combed her hair, packed her bags, whew, I’m exhausted!) And whatever else needed to be done to take her with us to eat at Chick-Fil-A for dinner while Mommy went out on the town.
She really enjoys eating out when we do. She is a perfect little lady. Most days. Tonight she was entertained by a tiny little baby sitting across the room with her Daddy. I thought she was just a couple of months old, but Granddaddy talked to her daddy and he said she was five months old and was born prematurely. He was holding down the fort while it appeared he was waiting for his young little wife to finish her tour of duty at Chick-fil-a. He was doing a fine job of taking care of his baby even though he looked like he was probably still in high school himself. I did think it was funny one time, though, when I saw him carrying her like she was a little football. He probably was a football player. It was hysterical.
Our little Princess doesn’t always like meats at her meals. Most times she doesn’t want anything meat, but apparently she had eaten with her little cousins sometime during the holidays and they had influenced her enough to make her want those chicken nuggets because I gave her three of Granddaddy’s nuggets and she ate them all and would probably have eaten more if there had been more! Poor Granddaddy! And I picked some of the bigger one for her, too.
It took probably an hour or more for us to eat, so that kept her entertained for some time. By the time we got back to her house, played for a while, etc. it was time for her Daddy to come home. Mommy’s still out on the town, remember?
When we said our good byes, gave our kisses, hugs, etc. we were out the door. There at my knees was The sweet Little Princess holding her arms up to me. She wanted to go home with me. Of course, I thought that was just the most wonderful thing in the world! She was choosing to go home with us.
Ah, yeah, before you think that’s so precious, here’s my theory. She didn’t really care about going home with us. She just wanted to go because she thought she could get away with staying awake instead of staying there and having to go to sleep! Have I told you how smart she is? Well, she is!
And by the way, I squealed on Mommy being dissed by her Saturday when she handed Mommy the keys and purse and sending her on her way. Hmm, seems Mommy failed to mention that cute little thing to Daddy?
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment