Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Her ninth tooth card...


No, I didn't mean this is her nineth tooth card. I meant it's her card celebrating her nineth tooth. Now that The Little Princess has received her most recent card from me I can share it with you. (Besides, I've always loved those blogs where the women share their cards with the world. This just makes me feel like I'm one of them....Important!, you know? Talented...well, that's a bit of a stretch, but on with the story.) This was a card I made for Little Princess celebrating her newest tooth, #9. She’s had such a hard time cutting that little tooth I thought she deserved a card for her hard work. It’s been really rough on her.

I found the stamp of the hippopotamus and the hip, hip hooray stamp at a local stamping store and envisioned a cute little card just for The Little Princess…that and the fact that I had 'an about to expire' coupon for 30% off just burning a hole in my pocket. We can’t let that happen, can we? Then add an enabling husband who reminded me I had said 'an about to expire' coupon just burning a hole in my pocket, and I had better use it before it expired. I felt sorta forced to buy those stamps.

It’s been a long time since I’ve sat down to my stamps, inks, chalks and papers and I found it quite refreshing to pick up my supplies once again. I didn’t realize how much I’ve missed it. It’s quite therapeutic. Time consuming, mess making, but therapeutic, nonetheless.

I had to laugh a few months ago when Little Free Spirit asked me on the phone one day, “How is your art coming, Grandmomma?” He hadn't been the recipent of any cards, lately, I guess, so he was just wondering...I confessed to him my art wasn’t coming along too well because I had put it aside for the time being.

When The Analyzer was younger he asked me if I was an artist. (Oh, the sweet innocence of a child! I love it!) I assured him I was not an artist. He said one of his friend’s mom was an artist, that she could draw, and he thought I might be considered an artist, also. I told him that if I really stretched my imagination maybe I was an artist in some ways, but certainly not on the same level as his friend’s mom. I could only wish I had that talent, but mine was limited to trying to create my own version of my cards and hoping they would bring just a bit of sunshine to someone’s day. He still thought I was one. After being considered an artist by my grandson, I was more than willing to rethink my thinking, and I’ll let him call me an artist any day he wants to. And be proud he thinks I could be. He has a few more years before he grows up enough to know better. Until then...
I’m noted for moving from one hobby to another (and apparently one subject to the other, based on this writing), and the most recent thing was trying to do digital pages of the kids. And keeping up with this blog is just another. But eventually I’m likely to come back to something I’ve really enjoyed doing, and it was just time to pull out my goodies once again. Ink up those stamps and try to pull a bit of creativity out of this aging brain.

The Little Princess loves to hold and look at a couple of cards I’ve made and keep on display at my house. ( Not that they’re anything special, but sometimes I enjoy just looking at my work before I mail them out. It’s a means for me to critique my work, see where I can change the next one, agonize over why I would ever have thought to put that particular item in that spot and not moved it to the other spot, etc.)

Obviously these two cards The Little Princess holds aren’t going to make it out of my house anyway, because I haven’t thought of anyone to mail them to who hasn’t already seen them, so she can continue to hold them and look at them. She gets a little rough at times, well, maybe a little over zealous would be a better word, but she’s learning, and that’s what is most important. They aren’t too crumpled just yet.

Back to the story, The Little Princesses’ mother called to tell me Little Princess got her card today, and she didn’t want to give it back to Mommy after Mommy thought she had held it long enough. Mommy finally ripped it away from her precious little baby hands and put it on her shelf in her room so she can observe it from afar.

I guess I’m notorious for spending way too much time on making my cards. (I know, there are plenty of you who have gotten my cards, and you're wondering to yourself what they would have looked like if I hadn't spend so much time on them, but, hey sometimes they really do improve with time. You're lucky you didn't get them in their first draft form!)

My husband has the attitude of, “Just stick it on the paper and be done with it!” I don’t work that way. Oh no, am I really, really obsessive compulsive? I’ve got to work on that. Next time I’m “just going to stick it on the paper and be done with it.”

Note: There’s little that will drive me crazier than to make a card like I think I want it and glance at it only to find my work is...just a tad crooked on the card. Just. a. hair! Justastinkinglittlehair! I just can’t let it go until I’ve ruined the original card by trying to pry that super-powered tape from the base, thus tearing the base as well as my “artwork”.

Perhaps I would be better off just packing those stamps and supplies up again and save myself some trouble. Nahh! It’s way too much fun. Being obsessive compulsive. And remember what I said about this hobby being therapeutic. I’m still working on it. My obsessive compulsion, that is. It's helping. Or, maybe not.

I'm glad at least you enjoyed my card, Little Princess. Happy Ninth Tooth!

No comments: