To close this day out on a happy note and to assure my daughter that she in her young and wreckless days is not the only one to have added excitement to her life...I don't think I remembered to tell her that in addition to the robbery/hold-up in progress, and the recent armored truck incident, we were driving along the highway toward the same said grocery story months prior to the robbery/hold-up incident when on the shoulder of the road to our right, just as we were passing we saw a huge plume of dirt fly up where workers were making repairs alongside the road. Instantaneously I smelled natural gas. Yep, the backhoe had cut into a gas line and caused a major gas leak just as we were driving by.
Just think we could be nothing more than evaporated gas by now! And she wouldn't have known it for a long time, probably.
Of course, it was necessary for us to notify the sibling who was in the area so they wouldn't get caught up in traffic as a result of it. But the road was closed off for quite some time. Thankfully we had gotten into the parking lot and got our groceries without them having to evacuate the area. Come to think of it, I'm not sure we didn't turn into the grocery parking lot and then give it a second thought and leave, because it was really close. I don't think we stayed around for that one. Guess we were a little smarter than we get credit for sometimes. If they didn't close the store, I don't know why they didn't because that was a huge gas leak. We could smell it all the way to the store.
Bet that was a shock to that backhoe driver! Fa-whoom!
You need to keep a close watch on old folks. You never know what kind of devilment they can get into. Sometimes they're worse than teen-agers ever dreamed of being. Well, maybe not worse, but close runners up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I was actually on the phone with you when you drove by and that happened. I think you headed into the parking lot of the grocery store too, and kind of think about it, I think you may have gone in to the grocery store.
Post a Comment