Tuesday, December 30, 2008

That wild, wild Cowgirl...

I've given Mommy a chance to write about this and she hasn't, so I'm stealing her thunder here, but it's necessary in order to write my blog today. Annabelle's Daddy made her the most beautiful, unbelievable old-fashioned looking rocky horse. It is large in size so she can not only grow into it but she can use it later as she gets older. It is so nice that I suggested he needs to make sure it becomes a part of the Christmas decorations for years to come, at least until Annabelle hauls it off to her house for her Christmas decorations with lots of wonderful memories.

She has liked to get onto the horse as long as one of us picks her up and puts her onto the horse, lets her ride for a while then she's "done" and wants to get down.

Today was a different story. To begin with she did her usual routine, but this afternoon she decided she really wanted to ride her rocky horse...without any assistance from either Granddaddy or me. She mutters a few words along the lines of, "I get it." and heads off to the office area of the house. I can read that little mind! I knew exactly where she was headed and why. I hear the sound of something being pushed across the kitchen floor, then the dining room floor and suddenly she appears...pushing the kitty cats play house which she calls her stool.

She pushed it close to the horse and then decided she knew how to mount that horse.
She tried first by slinging her little left leg over the top and after we told her she would be headed in the wrong direction, she dismounted and tried again, the right way. It was almost as if she had done this before, but she hadn't. It didn't take but a couple of times for her to figure out which way she was supposed to mount it.

She would rock a few times then say, "Done." and she was off of the horse only to get right back on him. She realized I was taking pictures and wanted me to let her see the pictures before she got back on again, but she was off and on, off an on. So many times that she finally was able to get down from the horse on the opposite side which had no stool to help her.

It doesn't take her long before she has things figured out. I love watching her little mind work as she figures things out.

And, I had gotten a digital voice recorder for Christmas. It holds many, many megabytes of memory and will practically forever before you download it to you compute to save.

Annabelle or one of the three boys is always saying something cute and I don't always have pen and paper handy when they say or do something so terribly cute and I forget a lot of really neat things I would love to remember. This is to help me because I can hang it around my neck and even keep it running for hours or as long as the battery lasts.

I decided to keep it on today while we were with Annabelle. All went well for a long time, then after many hours I decided to test it to see how well it was picking up her little voice. She heard her sweet voice on it and I'm sure she recognized it because later she noticed it was around my neck still and I asked her to talk to me. She just looked at it and shook her head at first. She knew what I wanted her to talk for.

Granddaddy, as technically endowed as he is, kept asking me why the red light was on. Well, duh, Granddaddy, clue her in on why the red light is on. She's a pretty smart little girl, you know, and I'm sure she's figured that one out.

It will be fun to listen to her little voice over and over again when she's not here near us.

I'm enjoying my gift, but I had to invest in a very bright, loud-colored strap to put around my neck. It's very compact and if I didn't have the strap on I might not find it again, once I put it down. So far so good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One thing you left out of this story, is that we said when we went home from their house on Christmas, that Annabelle would soon put a chair or something up by the horse, and get on by herself. So, I am glad we were there when she did it.