Sunday, December 7, 2008

I love their artwork

This is just an update on my thoughts that have happened while I was too lazy to blog:

Annabelle is learning to use colored pencils. I let her use mine one time and that was probably a big mistake because the next time I offered her some crayons,she refused them saying, "No, no, Grandmomma's colors." So, I had to let her borrow mine until I could round up a set of cheaper ones for her to use.

As another random thought: When she used my colored pencils she was very careful to make sure all the points were pointing in the right direction when she put them back into their trays. I thought that was rather interesting.

On November 19 she drew a masterpiece for me and on the same day we took her to McDaniel Park to romp in the leaves before the weather turned too cold for her to enjoy the outdoors. I decided to use her masterpiece as a background for my card I made along with her pictures from the day. You can't throw away beautiful artwork when it's right in front of your eyes, now can you, really?

She did several other masterpieces as a matter of fact and I was both amused and surprised when she looked down at one of her pictures and said, "Football, Grandmomma!" And indeed she had drawn a football, really, no kidding. Alright, she had made the pencil move around into an oval shape and it was her football, but what's amazing is that she actually recognized that shape and called it a football. She's been watching way too many Tennessee football games with her Daddy!

Then in another drawing she drew a bunny rabbit. We named that picture "The Accidental Bunny", because I'm pretty sure it was an accident that a bunny popped out of that picture. But she liked the name and she saw the bunny (OK, after I pointed the bunny out to her) she had drawn and I think even she was amazed at her talents on that one.

I love seeing her creative side coming out. I so hope she will have lots of abilities in the art side of her. Not so much that she thinks she has to do nothing but art, but enough that she can find it as a stress-reliever.

When I think about her drawing her football I am reminded of the way we did art in my much younger years of school. We would take our crayon and draw ovals and circles all connecting each other then we would go back and color in each of those circles and ovals whatever color we wanted. That was so much fun. I may have to try doing that again, myself.

The three grandsons are also very talented. I love how their Mom framed each piece and stuck their artwork around the dining room for us all to enjoy Thanksgiving. I would love to have a copy of their works for Christmas. I would be perfectly satisfied with that for my Christmas. Even the little three-year old is a budding artist. Money can't buy simple beauty.

The eight-year old drew a beautiful picture when he was maybe five of fish in a fish bowl. It is truly beautiful. I've tried to talk his Mom out of that picture forever, but she won't part with it. And I don't blame her. It's is over-sized and she bought a huge frame and mounted it to hang in his bathroom after she framed it. Hmmm, I've noticed it hasn't been hung in his bathroom since they've moved back home. Hope it didn't get lost!

The eight-year old is a whiz at designing his own Lego machines or whatever he likes to call them. They are tedious and he spends much time just trying to figure out how he wants one changed or another created. He did this as young as five or six years old and he only gets better. Everything goes well until baby brother loves them so much he takes them apart. I consider him a genius, but then I consider all four of them geniuses, and I'm really not prejudiced...not one bit. They're just...geniuses...

Baby brother has even used his little brain to put together his own versions of things that shoot at other things. And everything does. It's just a little boy thing and being the baby of three boys doesn't hurt, I suppose, when it comes to building and creating. You have to pick up a few pointers here and there.

I don't know if he's dismantling big brother's creations or if he's getting them from the community pile, but he's pretty good and even had to help me put mine back together after a part or two fell off.

I do love seeing all the grandchildren's creative side shine.

No comments: