Monday, December 22, 2008

Remaining bits and pieces of the day

As we were heading to Golden Corral for lunch today, Miss Annabelle was carrying on a conversation with herself in the back seat. She was looking at one of the little books that was left in the car for her to read as we traveled from one place to the other and to entertain her.

From the backseat I hear, "Dat cos' too much!" Now where in the world did she hear that from? I wonder! Yes, Mommy, she did say it. I questioned her about it and she broke out into a grin and thought it was soo funny.

She asked where we were going and I told her we were going to eat at Golden Corral, and asked if that suited her to go there. She hesitated a moment and then said, "Ummm,no, let's go that McDonald's that has bebe dolls." It's hard explaining to a two-year old that McDonald's has long gone past the 'bebe doll' stage...for now at least. She was still not really happy, but it was too late. The decision was already made for her.

Once in the restaurant she decided she had a few ants in her pants and couldn't stay on her knees turned face forward for very long. I kept reminding her she needed to sit on her knees and turn around. Finally, I used the same trick I used last time on her at home when I had caught her off guard. "One, two..." to which she continued, "FREE!" It had apparently only taken that one time to make a believer out of her...or not. Each time I would start with the one,two she could complete it. I dropped that angle and started tapping the bottom of the chair to let her know her bottom belonged there. What does she do? She taps the bottom of the chair before I can! Oh, she's a mess, she is! Finally, and I didn't say this to her earlier, this came from home apparently, she says, "GET IN THAT SEAT! GET IN YOUR SEAT!"

Earlier she had completely turned around in the chair and had her little legs swinging from the back of the seat. She wiggled so much she just slid right out of the chair, heading backwards, of course. I was going to let her sweat a few minutes before I rescued her, but she panicked and started to cry. Then I thought I would release her by getting her to continue to move through the back of the chair until she was freed. Boy, was I surprised! I had her turn her head so she could get out. Her head wouldn't go through and I was the one who was panicking. I was afraid we would have to call the fire department to get her loose. With a little help from Granddaddy we managed to maneuver her back up into the chair so she could get free.
She was a little better after that scare. That's when she started standing on the bottom rung of the chair.

We made a deal that she would eat a little more of her lunch before she got the ice cream. She had spotted the ice cream machine as soon as we were seated and really wanted to start the meal off with that. She probably had some premonition that she might get hung up in that chair and not get loose, or something. She wanted to eat dessert first, just in case...

She had to go with me to choose her ice cream in a cone (orange flavored, as usual) and then we went back to the table for Granddaddy to watch her while I got my dessert. She kept dripping the ice cream because she didn't want to eat the cone along with the ice cream. I told her we were dripping our ice cream. She looked at me and said, "Grandmomma not dripping, me dripping!" She had a point.

So I suggested she use a spoon to dip the ice cream out and that maybe it would be less messy that way. She liked that idea. Then somehow the spoon got caught in the cone and when she finally got it loose, much to her surprise and mine, the ice cream flew from the spoon,splashing over on me and then over onto the top of her little head, filling her hair with orange ice cream. It was so funny to me and once she realized how funny it was she couldn't stop giggling, either. But then it became a game to try to repeat the exact way she had done it by accident the first time. Then we had to put a stop to it. It wouldn't have been too funny if she had flipped it over to the people on the other side or behind us.

One time I saw her just grinning and turned to find out what she found so entertaining. A young black guy was talking to her and smiling. She loved it. She had made a new friend. She waved at him. She flirted back with him. She was a riot to watch. When he and his friends left she waved bye bye to him.

Earlier she had concentrated her efforts on a woman who had come in with a baby in a car carrier. She is such a drama queen. As soon as she saw the baby she started acting like she was a baby and pretending to cry. As I've said before, she's a mess.
She watched until they finally left and let me know they were leaving. Pretend crying all over again.

She was not in a mood for a nap this afternoon, but then again naptime was about over when we got back after such a busy morning this morning. Finally I suggested Granddaddy hold her for a while and just let her rest her eyes or little body for a while, not really go to sleep because at that time it was almost 5:00 and I knew she wouldn't be worth anything by bedtime if she got too much sleep.

She jumped up, grabbed the remote control to the t.v. and decided she would turn the music on so she could listen to it while Granddaddy held her. They've done this before so she knew the routine. She runs around to the side of Granddaddy's chair, points the remote towards the t.v. and gets the satellite to turn on. She couldn't quite figure out the routine for the t.v. so she sought Granddaddy's help. But she was ready for her music.

She slept for about 30-40 minutes and woke up on her own. She was in a pretty good mood considering she had so little sleep.

Later in the evening we were still listening to the music on t.v. and the song, "We Three Kings of Orient Are". She turned immediately and looked at the television and said, "Baby Jesus! Baby Jesus!" She has a Fisher Price Little People Manger set her Mommy and Daddy gave her for an early Christmas present and she loves it. She remembered those three kings had something to do with Baby Jesus. I love this sweet and innocent age. They pick up on so many things and their little minds are going in so many directions. And she's so smart.

I forgot to mention that earlier in the day after she had gone potty, I told her I would give her the chocolate she earns for using the potty. She shakes her little head in a "No" manner and puckers up her little lips and makes the sound of a kiss. She remembered that I had given her a chocolate kiss for her treat before. And she held me to them all day long. That and 'teetsy rolls' are some of her favorite.

It's been a very fun day with that little girl. I'm sure she was about as worn out as Granddaddy and I when she left, but we really enjoyed the day, anyway.

No comments: