Wednesday, November 14, 2007

After all, it really wasn’t a boulder…

At the Friday photo shoot The Little Princess stopped to gather a few souvenirs of her visit to the Park farm. She found a cute little black bug, examined a few brightly colored fall leaves,and she also collected a beautiful rock which she held onto tightly. She wouldn’t drop it even to hold on to Granddaddy’s and Grandmomma’s hand. It became her prized possession.

Mommy was busy getting some random shots when Grandmomma thought she saw the Little Princess put her hand to her mouth and maybe put something in that didn’t belong there. “Little Princess, did you just put something in your mouth?” And like the little Tar Baby in Brer Rabbit, Little Princess, she don’t say nothing! She just looks at Grandmomma. Ok, check the hand for the rock she picked up earlier. Yep, it’s still clutched tightly in her little hand. The little black bug she had captured got away, didn't it? Just imagining things, Grandmomma. But by this time Mommy had overheard the conversation.

Mommy immediately panics. “She does have something in her mouth, Mother! She does have something in her mouth!” The Little Princess looks from Mommy to Grandmomma, back to Mommy then back to Grandmomma.

There was ‘that look’. “Tell her Grandmomma, I don’t have anything in my mouth. See, I’m not chewing.”

“She doesn’t have anything in her mouth,Mommy, see, she’s not chewing!” says Grandmomma. Still The Little Princess is watching both faces intently and thinking to herself. “Hmmm, who’s gonna win this one? I’m keeping my mouth shut, but I’m pulling for you, Grandmomma! You tell her.”

Well, chalk up a win to your panicked Mommy, Little Princess.

A swift scoop of Mommy’s finger inside the surprised Little Princesses’ mouth produced the small pebble The Little Princess had packed away just in case she needed it. With a look of complete betrayal she once again shoots Grandmomma the look that said, “How could you let her do this to me? I thought you’ve told me all these months that you and I are going to hang together against Mommy, and I put you to your very first test and you failed it! How could you,Grandmomma, how could you? That was one of my very favorite rocks!”

In the meantime Mommy’s doing the guilt trip dance. “She could have choked to death! I’m just standing here trying to get pictures while my daughter could have choked to death! I can’t believe I didn’t see her….blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah.”

Ok, calm down, Mommy, she didn’t crack one of her six little teeth. She didn’t swallow the pebble. She didn’t choke. She’s fine. She’s really just fine. After all, it wasn’t a boulder!

And as for you Little Princess, we’ll still be partners in crime along the way, I promise. We'll just have to find things that won’t send Mommy over the edge next time. She’s kinda funny about finding rocks in her baby’s mouth.…and while we’re chatting, there are better ways to add fiber to your diet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Think your writings are great and weel thought out! I hope you enjoy this, but you need to let others see your stories.

Mommy Belle said...

That's cute, and I can really picture the event all over again. She did give those looks, didn't she? By the way, it wasn't just a pebble though! It was a pretty good sized rock. And, you failed to mention that she had slobbered all over it as she was sucking it. Thank goodness she enjoys her paci, or she may have swallowed the thing before we even had a chance to blink! How scary! This sounds a lot like the cantaloupe story, doesn't it?