when someone says you’re hyper-active?” Out of the blue, this was the question posed to me by my then just turned five-year old grandson, Little Free Spirit. I stumbled through the words in my vocabulary trying to find just the perfect word a little boy his age could comprehend. I offered this word. I threw out that word. I suggested still another, and yet nothing erased that confused and total lack of understanding look from that sweet little face.
I was ready to run for the dictionary….or to the car, and leave those little smarty pants to babysit themselves… Then from over in the corner of the room, all curled up in a chair, focused on pushing buttons on one of those little hand-held-game-machine-thingies-that-I-don’t- know-the-name-of-nor how-they-work-nor-do-I-care-to-know, came the voice of Big Brother, The Analyzer. “Little Free Spirit” he says in his wise little way, “It just means you’re WILD!”
“Ohhh! , said Little Free Spirit,nodding with complete understanding and relieved that the heavens had opened and wisdom had at last poured forth. Finally he could settle down again and go about his play. It was a simple question, after all. All it had required was a simple answer!
Now why couldn’t I have come up with those simple words?!!
I‘m not sure who was more relieved to hear the answer to his question: Little Free Spirit or me.
Well, at least he didn’t ask me any more big questions that day. I probably couldn’t have answered them anyway.
I suspect he was saving them up for The Analyzer.
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment