Monday, December 3, 2007
Back in the olden days, we all went to church at the same little country church, so I could relate to this story told by my aunt, although I’m sure it happened years before I was born.
It was always a common thing in the country just in casual conversation after the church service was over for the men folks to invite thus and so to come back to their house for dinner. I’m sure they gave little thought to whether their wives had enough prepared for company or just their families, but they still made it a habit each week. It all goes back to those days when you were leaving somebody and said, “Ya’ll come go home with us!” type of thing, most likely. Southerners could get themselves in a heap a trouble with those words. At least they could get their wives in a lot of trouble.
Well, one Sunday my(Great)Uncle Ben invited one of the church members and his family, who was also related in some way, shape or form, back to his house for dinner. Now Uncle Ben already had a houseful of liddle young’uns himself and here he goes inviting another family who also had a houseful of liddle ‘uns. For some reason, I’m pretty sure they gladly accepted his invitation.
Well, his wife didn’t exactly plan a meal for that many people that day, so she had to come up with something quick to feed that crowd. (Wonder what that conversation was like going home from church that day!?!?!)
So, Aunt Maudie decided she would pull out a box of salmon to help add to her meal. As soon as she saw the box of salmon come out, the invited lady guest made the comment, “Well, Aunt Maudie, I could a gone home and had salmon for lunch!”
I’m sure Aunt Maudie was very gracious in accepting the comments. Although she died when I was quite young, I still do remember her, and she was a very sweet, gentle soul, and I’m sure she remained quite polite to her very rude company.
Wow, how much I would have loved to have been invited for that meal at her house that day. I know, I probably wasn’t born yet!
Come to think about it, we must have been a raucous brood of four kids. I don’t remember but maybe once or twice being invited out to a meal away from home! Or maybe everybody was just busy entertaining those who had a whole gang of kids. We were a pretty small family when you compared us to some in the community, I guess.
I could share with you my own experience with ungrateful house guests, but that’s another story for another day. Eventually it becomes difficult to be nice, believe me!
And just in case you’re wondering, the aunt who relayed this story to me was really my cousin before she became my aunt…She married my Mother’s brother. So, no, there wasn’t any inbreeding here. Just to set the record straight!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ah yes, those ungrateful house guests sometimes cause us really grateful ones to take a TEST before we are accepted! G W
Post a Comment