Friday, December 7, 2007

What is all that racket?...

Thursday,December 6, 2007

On a recent visit to the northern part of the country my son and his family call home, we spent the day with Beautiful Blue Eyes while his mom went to work and then finished up some other chores she was committed to before we had made plans to visit.
His usual routine was to take a nap shortly after lunch. This particular day his Granddaddy and I decided we would tour the local town and surrounding area to get an idea of where they lived, then get a meal out and return in time for his scheduled nap.

A quick glance to the back seat of the car caused me to warn his Granddaddy that Beautiful Blue Eyes might fall asleep if we rode around too long. Very short trip, didn’t even make it out of town, then it was back home to resume play where he wouldn’t be as inclined to want to fall asleep. But not before Beautiful Blue Eyes fell asleep. He couldn’t have been asleep more than a minute or two before we got back to his house. Of course, he didn’t stay asleep. He was up and around, playing as though he had slept all day.

Time for his scheduled nap…Up to his bed he goes and since he was still sleeping in his crib, I didn’t worry he would get out and into something when I wasn’t looking. Back downstairs I could hear a consistent little thump, thump, thump. On and on the sound came from up the stairs. It was something I hadn’t heard other days when his mom was home.

This went on for maybe an hour until I heard him call for me. I knew he hadn’t been asleep, but I didn’t know what all the thumping was about until I went into his room. There strewn all about his room were several blankets, his favorite stuffed dragon he likes to wear around his little neck like a fur coat, and all his pillows and other toys that had joined him in bed. The only things I didn’t find were his two beloved pacifiers that he had to have to go to sleep. Somewhere lurking beneath the bed or who knows where, were those silly pacis. After considerable looking I resigned myself to the fact he had just eaten them, or maybe the dragon did. Just by luck, I knew where to find an extra one, and after warning him this was his last paci, and he simply had to go to sleep, I had to leave the room. I didn’t dare let him hear the giggles I was hiding over his silly antics. He would have known who had won this game, and it wouldn’t have been Grandmomma. And besides, I needed the rest.

What was that horrible thumping noise? He had managed to bounce his bed down the floor of his room until it nested against his dresser and would move no further.
But he did finally take his nap before mommy came home. Grandmomma offered up a prayer of thanks for silent houses and precious little sleeping boys.
I love you Beautiful Blue Eyes!

No comments: