Sunday, December 9, 2007

A little of this and a little of that...

When we kept the Little Princess on Wednesday and Friday of this past week we learned a few things as I mentioned earlier. Another thing we are working on is learning to stack our hands. You know the little child game, you put your hand on the top of the table, I stack mine on top, you add your hand, I add mine, one on one with the hand on the bottom removed and stacked on top. It's a silly little game but usually one that entertains a child for a little while at least. She hasn't gotten it down quite pat just yet, but she's coming along with it.

Her mommy called earlier in the day to see if we had been working with her about something pertaining to one of her bunny books. It sounds like she's hopping or trying to hop. I'm not sure exactly. Maybe if I saw what she's doing I could tell whether we had done it before, but right now I don't think it's anything we've done. I get blamed for lots of things she does, but I'm not sure this one is something I can take blame/credit for.

Did I mentioned she's destined to be a music director or conductor. When her music plays she loves to move those little hands in concert mode and keep time to the music. And I think she's pretty good at it, too.

I can't remember if I covered this Friday or not, so I'll add it just to make sure. While we were at the restaurant and after The Little Princess had finished her meal, I offered her a wipe to clean up the mess from the table. Not the diner's mat, because that would have been a big mistake. I had to clean that myself because once she's finished that becomes a major problem. I tried to teach her to wipe her spot on the table in front of her, so she could be helpful when she gets back home to mommy. Mommy needs all the help she can get. And I handed her another clean wipe to let her clean her face. She hates having her face washed. (She needs a good puppy around her house to help keep that little face licked clean. Cats are just too self-absorbed to lower themselves to the task of cleaning a baby's face.) She began to get the knack of how and what she was supposed to do. I had told her it would be better for her to wipe her face than have Grandmomma wipe it because she might not like how fast Grandmomma would have to work. And Grandmomma's gentle compared to her mommy.

Her mommy reminds me so much of my own mother. She was rough! I thought she would wipe the hide off of me before she stopped. And that brings up another memory of my mother. She had the coldest hands! Summer or winter, spring or fall, it didn't matter. She would stick those cold hands over on my face whenever she thought I was sick. And apparently I must have been a pretty sickly child because I grew to expect those hands at any time day or night. I hated seeing them headed toward me! I drew back in horror everytime! And she always used the backs of her hand to test my temperature. Had I had a temperature, she would surely have caused it to break once she touched me. But then, those little hands of hers were constantly in water either washing up dishes or things pertaining to the milk supplies.

Today has been a very unusually warm day here. It's so hard to believe it is already this many days into December and a long sleeved shirt is very, very hot! I guess we'll pay for it some time later on this winter. It's nice to have warm weather when you need to get Christmas shopping done, but it just feels the Christmas Spirit is missing just a bit when it feels like summer but it's almost winter.

I think this hot weather is one reason Little Princesses mommy can't get the incentive to decorate the Christmas tree they got last week end. She called wanted the "recipe" for the good-smelling cinnamon stuff I used to heat on the stove during Christmas time. You know, the secret family recipe, the Martha Stewart recipe of our family...the old water-cinnamon-cloves-orange peel recipe. She just wants to feel she's in the Christmas season. Christmas songs just haven't made the difference to her so far this year.

A few more weeks and maybe we'll all be in the mood for Christmas! And winter!

No comments: