Friday, February 15, 2008

Ten absolutely, totally useless things #1

you probably do not know about me, nor would you particularly care to know, but since it’s my blog and my Granddaughter I’m keeping this blog for, in no particular order, here we go:

Notice: since this will obviously take up more of my valuable real estate than I had anticipated, I will break this down into one a day. So stay tuned for each days listing.
1. As a young girl throughout high school I wrote for the local newspaper in my home town. (Hey, it was and still is the only newspaper in the county, and that was a pretty big thing, so don’t laugh!) I was the best little gossip columnist you ever saw. My aunt, who also loved to talk even more than me, if that’s possible, also wrote for the newspaper for many years and she was my great encouragement for submitting news. Perhaps she thought the competition between the two of us talking would be thwarted if I could put my words on paper and not in real conversation. I would have time for listening. It didn’t help a lot; I still loved to talk. But it was a valiant effort on her part.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure wish we had some copies of those collums you wrote back then! What kind of "News" did you tell, or was it just things going on in and around where you lived back then?

Mommy Belle said...

I don't think I knew that. Did you ever tell me that? I agree with Granddaddy, that would be nice to have copies of the columns you wrote.

Anonymous said...

As I said, they were gossipy. Community church news...Mr. and Mrs. So and So visited Mr. and Mrs. So and So. So and So's cow died as a result of...There were X number of people in church on Sunday. Mrs. ? daughter visited from Atlanta and brought her box of candy. Just silly stuff people wrote back them in the community news. Wish I could say I wrote really deep stuff...but, sorry, I didn't! They didn't require deep. But nontheless it kept my typing skills up and me out of the parking lots of the Dairy Shack most times. If only I could have share the things I learned over the ten-family party line once we got a telephone! Or maybe I should say I hope at least one person on that ten-family party line didn't share everything they heard about me!