It was a short night last night. Beautiful Blue Eyes was up at 6:30 this morning crying in great protest to still being in bed. I thought Granddaddy would hear him and get him up, but after waiting a few minutes I realized it was a hopeless cause and went to rescue the little fellow. He was up on his knees, leaning over the top of Granddaddy, screaming at the top of his little lungs, trying to get his Granddaddy to get up. Granddaddy denied knowing he was awake and screaming. I’m a bit skeptical about that myself, but we got up bleary eyed and started our day.
After getting lots of cuddling and loving little BBE sat on the floor, looked up at me and said, “Dit down on the four…And pay wif me.” We played for a while, then ate our breakfast and then got our baths. It was outside to play from about 9:00 a.m. until around 11:30 or 12:00 going without stop. Brooms, riding toys, stop signs, and then the car carrier with cars kept us occupied.
I was trying to make sure I got as many pictures of him as I could because they probably won’t be back down here until Easter, so I have to get what I can while I can. I had my big camera in my lap. He came over and said, “Dat’s a beeg ka’ma!” Then he had to know all the parts of it, leaving little fingerprints all over the lens as we talked.
He came in for a snack of yogurt, smashed potatoes and graham crackers because he had played so very hard. Then at lunch we cut out miniature pigs, cows and ducks from our bologna. We were told he loved bologna, but apparently today was not his bologna-loving day, or he was already too full of his snacks. But he had plenty of time for cutting out our animals. He had fun and so did I.
It is something I always did with my kids when they were growing up. We cut out all kinds of little animals, shapes, flowers, and made our sandwiches into butterfly shapes by the way we cut and arranged them. Little Princess loves this activity. Her mommy does them with her, too. And I remember one time when visiting the grandkids, seeing their Daddy make their sandwiches into butterflies.
This naptime was Dwanddaddy’s turn. Granddaddy doesn’t mind this task. This is probably his favorite as long as it comes at naptime and not bedtime. I could hear Granddaddy yawning over the monitor as he tried to read his books to him. BBE was still asleep two hours and twenty minutes later when his aunt called and asked if we would like to get together at the park near our house for the Little Princess and BBE to have a chance to play. Sure, said I, unaware I was about to disturb the biggest hornet’s nest around. He was not happy with me at all and the rest of the evening he made sure he reminded me of it.
We met Little Princess and her Mommy at the park. The part with all the smaller slides, etc. for the little kids was packed. It was over-flowing so much, from the road it looked like little ants running around. The smaller part with the larger kids slides wasn’t quite as busy, but it was still very crowded. I called Mommy to tell her the situation and she was right behind us and agreed. We were heading back to our house for them to play outside when we turned back to the larger kids’ play area and decided some had left so we stopped there for them to play a while on the slides, swings and the elephants, donkeys, etc. there were to sit on.
As soon as Little Princess got out of the car her little face lit up. She enjoyed seeing BBE once again and he enjoyed seeing her, too. We had talked about it all afternoon with me telling him they were coming over tomorrow for them to play together, and then when I knew they were coming tonight as well we talked about her coming. He was excited. He kept saying, “Little Princess, come!”
I will try to post some of the pictures later in the week. The next few days will be so busy I probably will do well to get anything on the blog in writing, so I will not make any promises when I will post them.
We went to Cracker Barrel for dinner afterwards. He is very determined about not having someone hold his hand when he’s in a fun place like Cracker Barrel, but we stuck to our guns and picked him up and carried him screaming into the restaurant. I’m sure the other patrons were sooo glad to see us coming (or going). I could tell they rolled out the welcome mat for us! But he has to learn.
He was adamant about not wanting to sit in a high chair or a booster chair, but I had already ordered three adults, one high chair and one booster chair, so when the girl brought over the booster chair he protested once again. He was not sitting in that chair, regardless of what I said. Finally, I persuaded him to try it out. I wouldn’t fasten the strap, just let him see how much closer he would get to the table sitting in the big boy chair. He was fine and acted almost nice for the rest of the time.
I know that boy is growing an okra patch inside his tummy. If not, he surely should. Because that has been his favorite food to eat for the last few days. He probably can’t get fried okra up north, so he needs his fill while he can get it. Little Princess was a hearty eater, too. Thank goodness, okra wasn’t her most favorite food, at least not tonight, so she didn’t eat any of his.
When she saw he had crayons and she did not, she was not happy. (Her mommy had taken hers away and put them out of sight until after her meal.) They were both very good at mealtime. I did have one moment of déjà vu when Little Princess spilled her water, and I found myself in between two little messes. How did I get caught in that spot again? Granddaddy was way across the table and missing it all!
As we were headed home BBE turned to me and said, “Messh Mommy, Meesh Mommy!” I know he misses his Mommy! It’s been a very long time since he has seen her and his Daddy and big brothers. It was almost heart-breaking to hear his sweet little voicing his sadness. Later in bed he would say it again a few more times. He doesn’t understand that to us these next few days will go by with lightening speed. To him it is an eternity until Thursday when he sees his family again. In the meantime, we’ll just try to make his days pass faster by filling them with lots of loving things to do and try to keep his little mind occupied until he gets back home with them once again.
I don’t know how much he weighs; I just know he’s a chunk. And trying to get him into pajamas and ready for bed is certainly a challenge to say the least. He uses every ounce of his weight to go against you when he doesn’t want to go to bed, but finally I managed to get that little body into his pajamas and back to his room for his favorite book reading time.
It was 1 hour and ten minutes from the time I started reading his books until the time I was able to sneak out of his bed. He would throw his little arms around me, or turn the other way around, then hunt for his rabbit, maybe ask for his milk(and he’s actually gotten better at pronouncing “milk”. It’s more “mee-lk” than Muck he said when he first got here Friday. ) refuse cover over him, lose his paci and ask for my help when he knew it was right at my back where he had spit it out. That brought a big giggle as he teased me about losing it. He would give me a new hair style with his little hands as he ran them back and forth over my head. It’s awfully hard to keep from saying anything when your hair is standing on end, but you have to stay still or your time spent already is all in vain.
One time when I had my hand pressed to my mouth, I felt that little paci right up against my hand. We could have shared that paci. One time I let out a big long sigh. My little echo lying next to me in bed let out his own long sigh, just as I had. His little forehead bumped mine. Anything to stay awake. “Ut ohh, Choo choo train” That darn train had to stay on schedule, didn’t it? It couldn’t wait until he was asleep? Apparently not. Then it was back to wanting his mee-ilk again. Just when I thought I could sneak away from the bed, he turned back towards me and threw his little arm around my neck. I was going nowhere for a while longer.
It takes a very long time for a little boy to wind down after a very busy day. How can a good Grandmomma be so cruel as to leave a sweet little angel alone and awake in a room he isn't really familiar with? Especially when he’s missing his Mommy! She can't. That's why this good Grandmomma spend an hour and ten minutes pretending to be asleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment