Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Last day with Beautiful Blue Eyes

Little one was up at 7:30 this morning. Before he completely woke he would reach over and touch my face, making sure I was there. But it was exercises of stretching and growing again this morning. He loves these. It puts him in a good mood to start his day. He helped me sing our little song about God's pretty day, even though it was cloudy at the time we woke.

Since we had a busy day planned today he and I got started while Granddaddy got a few extra zzzz’s. It was a breakfast of waffles because he remembered we had some. He ate two complete whole wheat waffles. To keep down on the mess just a bit I talked him into letting me put the syrup on the side and then having him dip the pieces in it. He agreed and seemed to love it. He topped those waffles off with some Apple Jacks cereal and milk.

I managed to get in his bath time since I was so iffy about it last night I decided not to fight him any longer and just put him to bed hoping he would settle down earlier. Which it didn’t help because he was still late getting to sleep.

This was one of those mornings where if something could happen it did. Political commercials were coming in over the house phone, personal calls coming in on the cell phone, I was trying to get a little two-year old head dried and a tiny body dressed while the door bell was ringing with someone wanting to cut down trees.

I did have my bath before too much mayhem developed or I may never have gotten out of the tub once I got in. The little guy and the big guy had eaten breakfast, but I hadn’t, so I still had to eat. I was still trying to finish rounding up and making sure I had all of Beautiful Blue Eyes belongings because we were to meet his Grammy at noontime for lunch and to leave him with her once again. Addionally, we were trying to get out to vote before we met them. Just mass confusion.

I’m sure BBE sensed the busyness of the moment because he would come over to me, lift his little arms and say, “Hold you, Grandmomma, hold you.” I remember this was a popular expression his two older brothers used to say when they were around that age. I love hearing it. It’s so innocent sounding. Who can refuse to take a few minutes to hold a sweet little boy who wants to hold you? He needed lots of hugs at that point. And he has been feeling so very, very lonesome for his mommy and his family. I can’t wait for him, for his sake to see those people who hasn’t seen in so long! Poor sweet baby.

We finally got out of the house and to the polls to vote. The parking lot was very full, but we found a spot. School was apparently still in session and the teachers were taking up lots of spaces. I was preparing to find a huge crowd inside. Luckily the people who were in line ahead of us finished fairly fast and they had enough booths to move them along once they were processed, which took a few minutes.

BBE was happy with a toy car I had brought along for him to play with and cooperated with us. He played so I could see him while I cast my vote and just as I pushed the “completed” button he walked into the booth, literally. He didn’t cut his face, but he hit his little face just right at the eye. I was so scared he had done damage once I realized where he had hit. I didn’t see it at first because I was looking on the side I thought he had hit, which was really the opposite side. He didn’t scream in pain, but he did cry and it turned red, but it never swelled nor did it bleed. He did look so pitiful and just in time to go back to Grammy’s house who probably now would think I hadn’t been watching him while he was here. That is very incorrect because nobody watches him better than we do when he’s here. He just managed to hit into the booth when I couldn’t help him. That didn’t ease my sadness over having it happen. It’s always an “if only” thing when one gets hurt in your care. I hope he’s going to be alright.

We took him down to a playground nearby and he enjoyed playing there for quite a while. He didn’t want to leave there, and it really was a pick him up and carry him off type ending. I don’t know what he weighs but I have no doubt he weighs at least 35 pounds. He’s heavy, people, he’s heavy.

Then it was on to find Grammy and Papa. Of course he was glad to see them. I asked Grammy if someone needed to lie down with him for naptime or bedtime and she said they just put him in the room in the bed and he went sound asleep. That’s very hard to believe because he would have none of that while he was with us. Grammy said he was just using us. I told her, “Well, good luck tonight.” And the rest of the time she has him! He is not going to go down without somebody in that bed with him. He’s gonna miss us tonight! He’s gonna miss us! But I’m going to miss him terribly, too. He’s been a handful and a lot to keep up with, but he’s been a pleasure as well. He’s just too cute for describing!

We spent the rest of the afternoon just shopping and getting rejuvenated for tomorrow. We have an early morning with the Little Princess.

No comments: