I said Mommy went to bed sick last night. Well, this morning around 3:00 I heard a baby crying, hard, and still under my stupe I jumped out of bed and flew toward the bathroom to find out where and who the baby was. I opened the door to find Mommy and Annabelle in the bathroom with Mommy green around the gills and Annabelle screaming.They had both gotten up and were up-chucking.
Annabelle had gotten sick while sleeping and had managed to throw-um-up right in the corner of the pack and play. Her breakfast from yesterday morning. And probably her lunch from yesterday as well. It was not a pretty sight, then what was going on in the bathroom wasn't very pretty either, so I ripped the sheet from the pack and play and started washing them out. Of course, I couldn't find the spare sheet. Just my luck! I cleaned up the pack and play the best I could and then went back to help the sick and dying in the bathroom.
Mommy had had the sense to throw Teddy Bear overboard when she found Annabelle throwing up. That would have really been an ugly sight. She has to have her Teddy before she gets comforted from anything.
I found something for Mommy to keep by the side of the bed and sent her back to bed. I would take Annabelle back to the den and hold her for the rest of the morning. It would be easier to clean a wooden floor than carpeting. Annabelle was so sweet. I was surprised that she actually let me take her with me. She seemed to sense that Mommy couldn't take care of her right now, so she settled for me.
Mommy had a really rough time. She kept throwing up about every thirty minutes. (I'll bet she's having second thoughts about believing me when I told her how sick I was when I was expecting her brother! She just didn't think anybody could be that sick. They can be that sick. I speak from experience!) I felt so sorry for her, but I left her pretty much on her own throughout the night because I couldn't handle both of them at the same time and I figured she would be just fine without too much help.
Where was Granddaddy, you ask? He was in the bedroom f.a.s.t asleep. Or so he would leave you to believe, but I know better. I've experienced this man's ability to sleep when he thinks it best suits his needs. He got lots of experience with this when the kids were little. He could sleep through a tornado if the kids were throwing up.
Mommy kept wishing for a Sprite to calm her tummy but she didn't want to wake her Daddy to run out at 4:00 or 5:00, or whatever unearthly time it was.
Annabelle also threw up most of the night. I made the mistake of having her throw up in her little potty. Yes, it was clean. Yes, I had washed it, and No, she hadn't used it since it was washed. But it was a mistake because I carried it up front for her to continue to use. I'm telling you, you do what you have to do when you've got a sick baby on your hands.
I tried to get her to use one of those little plastic hospital throw-up catchers, but she was having nothing to do with it, so that meant she had put her little hands to her mouth to hold it in, then thrown up in the catcher and knocked my hand away as well as splashing the contents all over me, her and the floor. She was very adament. She would say loudly, "I'M DONE, I'M DONE!" I wasn't as confident as she was, but I tried not to aggrevate her too much.
We had kept a light burning in the background so I could see if she needed me. I watched that sweet little girl as she just stared into outer space and busily rubbed Teddy Bear's leg with that little hand of hers. I wondered what was going on in that sweet little brain of hers. She certainly didn't feel well and I'm guessing she thought if she didn't move she's be better off. But Teddy's leg sure got a good working out and I'm surprised he isn't sporting a leg with a rubbed through spot. She took her anxieties out on Teddy, but that's what he's for.
We made it through the night (the two of us) and finally around 7:30 or 8:00 after Mommy needed a Sprite again, I woke Granddaddy to get on the road picking up things for the sick. And as luck would have it, I had only four diapers left here that were Annabelle's size so I had to get some from the diaper bag. Granddaddy would have to make a run to Costco as soon as it opened later in the morning. We kept him busy running from here to there.
Finally aroud 6:30-7:00 a.m. Annabelle threw up one last time and then since it was time to get up, so she thought, she was ready to play. It's amazing how fast they seem to recover, while it takes us days to get over something.
I had told her not to bother her Mommy because Mommy was sick. She stood in front of me and said, "I sick, too!" Yes, she had been sick, indeed and she thought I was not acknowledging just how sick she was. Mommy would continue to hang her head over until late afternoon. Much later than Annabelle. I guess it just takes longer to pass through an adult than a little one, but I was so glad to see her feeling better.
She would have nothing less than for me to "Pay with me, Grandmomma, pay with me!"
And we did just that. Before lunch and when I was pretty sure she wasn't going to throw up anymore, I put her into the bathtub and washed her good along with her hair. I let her soak for a while while I scrubbed her soiled pajamas and soaked them in enzyme stuff, until I could get them into the washing machine.
Granddaddy dried her hair in he big-girl beauty parlor chair while I escaped to the bathroom for my own bath. We both really did need it after last night. Then it was time to start washing some of those clothes so she would have clean ones for tonight. Mommy had only brought one pair of pajamas along and normally we don't need them, but last night we did. So it was wash and dry time.
And since she had a white shirt on earlier it had to be handwashed. She also had a little red/pinkish top and bottom which also needed hand washing. That I finally threw into the wash with some like-colored clothes. She was ready for some clean clothes for nighttime and later.
One funny thing she said to me was "That one's different from the others." When I had asked her about something, she had recognized the difference, but had used her big fifty-cent word to tell me it was different.
Daddy got into town but Mommy wouldn't let him cover over because she didn't want him catching it, so they spent the night with us. We really didn't want Daddy to get sick. That stuff was really nasty!
Here's hoping we stay well, Granddaddy and I!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment