
Mommy had some errands to run, and we met her for what we thought would be a quick exchange from her car to ours of Beautiful Blue Eyes and his clothes. He was all smiles when they pulled up next to us. He got out of the car, pulled his suit case over and suddenly had an attack of "I don't think so's." He has always gladly come along, no tears, no complaining, no whimpering, but today he was in an entirely different mood. He didn't like that idea at all. He didn't want to part with his mother after all. All the screaming, hollering and noise he made would have wakened the dead. But Mommy would not be deterred. He was going with us. I felt so sorry for him, but I was beginning to feel more sorry for Granddaddy and me because I knew it wouldn't be a good day or two ahead of us.
Mommy picked him up, fought him all the way and fastened him securely into his carseat in the back of our car. She completely ignored those heart-breaking tears, turned, jumped into her car and headed out. But it really did break her heart. I could tell she could hardly stand it. But she had things she needed to do today and tomorrow.
Before I could close my side of the back door and climb into the front seat beside granddaddy, I found a little boy in the middle of the car, outside his carseat.
Knowing that there was no way we could transport a little boy from our pick-up place to our house without him being in the carseat, I stopped her and told her what had happened.
Luckily we still had Little Princesses' carseat in the car even though it wasn't really adjusted to his size. She again, picked him up and expertly and efficiently fastened him into that carseat and left. This time he either gave up trying to unfasten the seat or he just didn't take time to figure it out. She was gone! He was stuck with us.
Poor little fellow screamed all the way back to our house, and believe me, that's a long, long way with a screaming child in the back seat. But we finally made it. However, nothing would soothe and comfort him, not even his Mommy's suggestion that we stop and get him a Sprite.
After we pulled into the driveway and talked to him a bit about what we could do today, he finally settled down.
He spent the better part of the morning outside playing with a 1980's Carebear beach ball that I had unearthed, and amazingly still held air after all these years! He tossed that ball and chased that ball until I thought he would finally run down, but he didn't.
He played with the other outside toys we had

and Granddaddy gave him a ride in his new red wheelbarrow.

He wasn't as excited to ride in it as Little Princess, but he still enjoyed it. When he and Granddaddy went to put it backup he found Granddaddy's gardening wagon and they had to bring it back up for some more rides.
He's pretty good about entertaining himself either inside or out. He just had to make up his mind he was going to do it and be happy.
At lunchtime I suggested to him and Granddaddy that we pull out the old Little Tykes table we had bought years ago for the older boys. It was getting a bit shackled, and Granddaddy had worked on it earlier, but it still needed some more fixing up. That would come later.
He was happy sitting at that table playing with some Lincoln Logs he had found while waiting for Granddaddy.

We dragged that table out underneath the shade tree and Granddaddy went to Wendy's and brought back a lunch of scrumptious chicken nuggets and fries along with our drinks.

When I had told him what we were going to do about eating under the tree and then he would get a good nap before we played again, he looked at me and said, "I wanta see Mommy." Little tears began to stream down that sweet little face once again, but he managed not to have a melt down as previously. Again, I tried to reassure him that he would see Mommy after we ate lunch the next day. He can't comprehend time just yet; he's only a few months short of three. Much too young to understand, but he tried to be a big boy for me.
Of course, there is no nap time or bedtime for him at my house without me also taking one with him. So after lunch we tried to settle down after reading a few books.
I'm afraid I have to say, I managed to get my nap in before he did. Finally, after trying to get him to sleep by rubbing his little back and trying to help him relax, I would squeeze my eyes almost shut and try to peek at him while we were lying there. He would watch the fan go around, peek at me, turn his back to me, back over to see if I was still there, and everything to keep from going to sleep. Finally, at long last he fell asleep. He didn't sleep his usual 2 1/2 hours, however, but 1 hour is good when you know he needs it.
He woke up in a good mood and was ready to play again, but he would still be reminded of his Mommy and act so sad that finally I had made up my mind if he continued to be so concerned, we would call Mommy and have her meet us later that night so he could sleep at his home tonight. He's had so many things going on in his little life lately that it's no wonder he's upset. But, he managed to accept that he was stuck with us for another day, and settled down by the time his bedtime came.
He loves tacos so we went to Taco Bell for dinner.

I love how he eats his tacos. He attacks them directly from the top.

He will learn they won't fall apart when he can handle them better from the front. But, as I said, he's just a little boy right now.
Bedtime was another extended thing for him tonight. He is usually in bed by 8:00 or 8:30, but tonight it was more like 10:30 before he finally fell asleep. He was in bed on time, he just couldn't sleep. But, again, Grandmomma got her sleep in while waiting for him to fall asleep.
It was sad watching that little fellow because you knew exactly what was going on in his mind. He really, really missed his Mommy and could hardly wait to see her. And Grandmomma had forgotten to give him his needed pacifiers. He didn't complain. I just happened to remember them. He really needed his comforts right now.
Night time was not a particularly good time for either of us because he was so very restless and every move he made woke me or kept me awake, but we finally made it through the night without him having to go home.
Be thankful for the little things. Maybe next time will be better and we can look forward to him being his old self again.
2 comments:
All you feed those grandkids is fast food!!!
Yes, Thank goodness for fast food and junk food. They would starve otherwise. Little Free Spirit waved his hands over my famous grilled cheese sandwich the other day and said he didn't eat toast. So, I pulled out the peanut butter and jelly. I was tired of eating out.
Post a Comment