Sunday, June 22, 2008

My Daddy's honesty


This is a newspaper article I came across today. This reflects the honesty of the man who raised four children and the example he was in our lives.

I hope you are able to read this. It was tattered and torn from use of sitting at my parents house, but I covered it with laminating in an attempt to preserve it. I thought someday the grandkids might be interested in seeing it.

The newspaper article was published March 28, 1962 and it had been 14 years prior when my Daddy had clerked in a grocery store. A gentleman came in for some groceries, Daddy had served him and some how the man had forgotten to get his change back from Daddy. Daddy had wrapped the money in a paper, put it in his wallet thinking he would see the man soon. It was 14 years later they ran up on each other in the Veterinarian's office. Daddy pulled his wallet out and gave him the change. According to the paper the money had already turned dark from being in his wallet.

The man was so impressed with my Daddy's honesty he went immediately to the newspaper and reported it so they could publish it in the paper. I don't think he had even remembered he had left without his change.

That's the article condensed in case you can't read it. Just a bit of family history for the wee folks who never got to know their Great-Granddaddy or maybe great-great.

Let's see, that happened 60 years ago he made the change. I think if you double click on the article it will enlarge for you to ready more easily.

1 comment:

Mommy Belle said...

Wow! That is a really neat article. You can double click on the article, and once you do, it is very easy to read. Thanks for sharing!