Friday, September 5, 2008

She's such a little teaser, that baby of ours...

It's sad, but it's been so long since I've blogged that I actually couldn't get in on the first try! Isn't that sad? I must write down all these addresses and codes lest I one day can't get in.

I really am so far behind that I am finding it a task to write, but I was thinking about that sweet little girl of ours and couldn't help but remember something that happened yesterday when we kept her. (Yes, Mommy changed her day from Wednesday to Thursday this week because (1) Sweet girl has been so very sick and (2) She needed to go in to work today instead of yesterday to get her picture "took".

Annabelle has a toy that has four balls that fit into holes across the top...a red one, a blue one, an orange one and a yellow one. They are different colored balls to help encourage learning their colors, and it's a game to put the right color into the right colored hole before you pound them down into a trap that rolls them out through a maze and down the bottom. Well, I couldn't find the mallet to pound them down so I taught her a new trick. Just beat them with your hands until they go down.(Granddaddy found the lost mallet the last time we were over. It was lost and then found...underneath the sofa; however, sometimes one of the cats will relocate herself underneath the sofa, and since I wasn't in the mood to deal with either one of them and risk getting scratched, I made do with what I had available. My hand.) I don't get paid to spend my time looking for lost mallets!

I would ask her which one fit into the red hole, and she would put them in their proper place, always right. Of course, I would praise her telling her she had made the right choice. "Perfect," I would say. Finally she decided we needed to add a little zip to the game and play it differently. I would ask where the ball was supposed to go and she would stick it in the wrong hole and look at me with that devilish little look she has. "No, no, no," I would say. She would keep her hand on the ball until I corrected her, move it over to another still looking at me with that still silly look in her eye, until she had gone through all of them, wrong, of course. She knew quite well what she was doing, but she's got enough of my Mama's family in her to keep up the foolishness. I think she wanted to know if Grandmomma really knew which color went where.

And, I think her mommy has written about this already, but she has a puzzle that has a number of small pieces and none of the spaces have a picture where the puzzle part goes. Let me tell you, she's on her own with that puzzle when I play with her because I do not like puzzles of any shape or form, not even kids puzzles and especially ones that don't have pictures behind them.

She didn't hesitate. She showed me exactly where those puzzle parts belonged. She didn't have to mull over where they went. She's a better problem solver than her Grandmomma.

And yes, today I got my first chance to experience her removing her diaper at some point while she was supposed to be taking a nap. Maybe it was after her nap. She was telling me something and searching about her bed. Then I saw the diaper in the corner. It was dry as a bone. But so was the bed, thank goodness. Don't know if she had gotten uncomfortable and pulled it off, or what went on in her little mind, but there it lay.

Get well, soon, sweet girl. I love it when you feel your old self. Sometimes we all have to feel rotten, but it breaks my heart to see you so sick. Love you bunches.
Grandmomma.

1 comment:

Mommy Belle said...

Actually, you didn't teach her to slam the balls into the toy using her hands...she learned that from her playgroup boy buddies (go figure)! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on last week though. I always enjoy reading them.