It's so hard knowing our little Princess is sick and there's nothing we can do to make it better. It has to be awfully hard for Daddy to be so far away and not knowing what's happening to her because even phone calls don't set ones mind at ease that much. There is always that uneasy feeling.
I was lucky enough not to be turned down today when I suggested Granddaddy and I would like to come down to go with her and her Mommy when she had to go into the doctor's office this morning. Mommy could have refused; that was her option, but I guess she knew how paranoid I can get, so she allowed me to tag along.
Earlier in the day we had heard about a Tyson tractor-trailer truck which had caught on fire and was causing mayhem throughout the area. The traffic was between her and us, so we made plans to leave much earlier than we normally would. Thanks to the fast lane and two people in the car, we made it in pretty good time. We could smell the food cooking not long after we go onto the expressway, but we still worked our way through the fumes and the traffic. Surprisingly we didn't smell the smoke, only the food. Not that I could determine what was in that truck.
As soon as we got there and into the house the little Princess greeted us, "Gandaddy, Gandaddy!" I, who had been so worried about the little stinker, I, who had begged, pleaded, and cried to be allowed to go with them to the doctor, I, who loves this little mess so very much, I, who fills her sippy cup for her, I, who changes her wet and stinky diapers, was completely dissed! What's up with that?
We didn't have a lot of time to play around since she had to finish her meal and get her final "going to the doctor" clothes on and her hair prettied up. We were running a little early, but they didn't make us wait too long before we went back to the examining room. That was a longer wait, but her Mommy will have to cover that part of the visit.
We entertained her by reading books. I had carried four smaller books to read to her when we got inside or while Mommy was talking to the doctor, but she had other ideas.
She didn't really want to read my clean books, she needed the germ-laden doctor's office copies. She was just drawn to them. Those little hands were into and on everything she could find, despite everything we could do.
At one point a resident from one of the big teaching hospitals came in and checked her and got information. She was very good. She and I continued to read. We found an "I Spy" book. She loves those books. There were so many things for her to find once Mommy and I asked where they were. She's very attentive and didn't get bored, which surprised me at her attention span with that book. I got bored before she did.
While the two of us were looking at it and Mommy was busy listening to more important things, we talked about a bunch of buttons on the page. I looked at her outfit and told her she didn't have any buttons on her clothes. She had been stripped down to only her top and diaper. She was very quick to correct me. She peeked around her Mommy who was standing near the examining table, to let me know, Yes, she did indeed have buttons on her clothes. Her pants had buttons the same color of pinkish-red. They were just over on the table.
She was indeed a sweet girl. I was surprised she had so much courage after all she's been through lately. I was proud of her.
One hour and thirty five minutes later we were headed home. She instantly wanted to get into her little car and have me push her around. She loaded the back of it up with bunches of small twigs and acorns, well, she finished loading it. She already had it half full. Mommy pushed her around for a while then it was time for lunch. Oh, and she had fallen asleep on the short ride home for just a very short time, but she still needed a good nap.
After lunch we left because she did need that good nap. But at least we did get to see her today and know or think she's going to be just fine. But it's just sad to know and see her so miserable. As my Mother used to be so famous for saying, "This, too, shall pass, and be replaced with something else more serious." Hopefully, nothing really more serious after all!
For the record, it isn't that I don't think my daughter to be incapable of taking her child to the doctor without my help. Of course, I wanted to be there to help comfort her if she needed it while her Mommy was talking to the doctor. Also, I hope with me there, I can help take care of her so her Mommy can give her attention to the doctor, his advice, diagnosis, etc. She can become quite alive once she senses her Mommy needs to devote her attention to someone else. I remember those days of kids who want to wiggle off tables, etc. I hope it was helpful. At least it was comforting to me to be there. Selfish, huh?
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment