Friday, March 14, 2008

A Little Princess and her doll house



Wednesday, March 12, 2008


The Little Princesses' mother decided we needed to make a trip out of town to buy some new clothes for the little Princess. Poor Little Princess doesn't have any clothes to wear, and I often refer to her as Little Naked Baby because she is soooo in need of clothes! We jumped at the chance to get out of town. Granddaddy was already suffering from being cooped up in town for way too long. We haven't made a trip out of town since visiting the yankee relatives in October and he was really excited to be making the trip.

So we packed our bags and off we went. Since we were going to leave early in the morning we spent the night at their house. We did a great job keeping to schedule. We were only a few minutes late leaving. Since it was a two hour trip, after stopping for breakfast, getting lost a little and traffic in general, we made it there just a little after opening time at 10:00.

The store was having a warehouse sale of some pretty pricey little dresses when they're bought from Boutiques and upper-level stores. We were hoping for some good bargains for the Little Princess, since, as I said, she doesn't have ANYTHING to wear!

We hit that store like a couple of vultures. I took one section and her mother took another, both pulling out things we thought she could wear after her mother's critical eye, of course. We pulled out every cute 18-month size as well as 24-months and two toddler size only to be told by the worker at the store that she probably would wear a size three toddler and if it was too long just hem it and have it another year. I guess that justifies the pricey price of these adorable dresses.

My daughter is very predictable when it comes to purchasing clothes for her daughter. She is quite the perfectionist and everything has to be just right or it's not chosen. Most all of these dresses were smocked. This is what makes them so beautiful to her mother and me as well.
It didn't take as long to gather the dresses as it took to cull through them. The store was supposed to close at 1:00. We left the store at around 1:20. I think we had a total purchase of four dresses, but they were four cute, cute dresses.
Poor Little Princess was already very tired of sitting in a car seat for close to three hours and she was enjoying her new found freedom romping through that store. Naked. Well, semi-naked; she did have a diaper on her bottom. Mommy could catch her as she flew by sometimes and throw a beautiful dress on a beautiful baby. She would slip through our hands like a glass of water. But she did cooperate in the beginning so we could see how cute she looked. Not that we doubted for one minute. She finally reached the stage where she was "so over" trying on those clothes.

We didn't even ask if we could take pictures. I'm sure they wouldn't have appreciated it. We probably wouldn't have had time anyway. You'll have to settle for a few pictures scattered here and there with her wearing them.

We had already decided to stay overnight since Granddaddy hasn't had enough time away from home lately. And believe it or not we found plenty of things to keep us occupied after leaving that store. Just killing time. It was fun. Being there with Little Princess and her mother was all the fun we needed.

I had carried a small folding doll house I had found, that I later learned was part of the Polly Pockets series. It didn't have the dolls for it, but I used some chunky Fisher Price Little People in it to entertain her.

She loved that doll house. It kept her occupied quite a bit of the free time we had during the trip. Definitely a "must carry with us" item whenever we go on another trip. I'm amazed at how much she enjoyed it.
She's not quite seventeen months old and she had a ball with that house and the Little People that went in it. Here are a few of my favorite pictures of her with that doll house.

The one to the left is of her mother working on her hair. The black thingy coming out of the top of her head on the picture on the left is the comb Mommy's using. The bottom one is getting her hair all beautified. Normally she screeches when Mommy tries to comb those long hair.





The one at the beginning of my blog is one of my favorites and is after her mother combed her hair and put it up in two pony tails on the sides with back hair hanging long ways down her back. (See, she didn't mind Mommy working on her hair while she played with the house.) She is helping brush her hair in the top picture.
Little Princess was pretty wound up by the end of the day and didn't want to go to bed so Grandmother and Granddaddy could watch American Idol on tv. Since tv's a definite "no-no" for her she and her mommy occupied Little Princess with bathtime.

I have to go on record as totally understanding the side of the issue her mother comes down on when it comes to watching television. I, too, believe she's much better off with time spent with her mommy and not parked in front of a television. It sure limits her mommy or whoever is keeping her, because you have to devote your time totally to her. But that's not so bad. She's lots of fun just watching those little lights go off in her mind as she finds new things to get into. She won't be little all that long. (Her mommy hasn't let me influence her with my beliefs on the tv thing. She would have had this attitude even if I didn't back her. She's a free-thinking and she believes in raising her child in a non-traditional way if that's what's necessary. And I love her for that!) The Little Princess is truly treated like a Little Princess. She's got the best mommy any Little Princess could ask for, and I'm just sorry every little kid in the world isn't so blessed as she is. I just hope she grows up to realize how lucky she is. I'm sure she will.

Anyway, back to the hotel...Little Princess didn't want to settle down because she was having some fun. I retired to the bathtub while the lights went out (but not before Little Princess tried to join me. She stood by my running water and tried to remove her shoes so she could climb in, too). She finally settled down around 11:30 that night. As much fun as she is, sometimes bedtime feels really good for those around her. Long before she knows how much fun it can be.

If I haven't mentioned it before...the fun part of having a granddaughter is being able to buy those fun things I never had as a kid...such as the doll house(s). Now I can recapture my lost childhood. What fun.

If you noticed I didn't include pictures of her new dresses after all. Those are for another day. I loved these of her and the doll house for this blog.
I also didn't mention what her mother spent for those four dresses. And I won't. Let's just say they didn't cost quite as much as they would have in the boutique. That's probably why she didn't buy the entire lot we picked out earlier. And she put back a few I really did love! Oh well, she used a little will power anyway.

No comments: