Sunday, March 16, 2008

Tornadoes, tornadoes, tornadoes everywhere...

Saturday, March 14, 2008
Today has been a horrendous day, weatherwise. We have had tornado watches on top of each other all day long! Probably the most I've ever known. I have an absolute fear of tornadoes. I have had dreams since I was a small child that I would be killed in a tornado or airplane crash. Who knows why I would dream such as a young child because I really don't remember tornado watches or warnings out at that time. Maybe it reverts back to the days of the storm shelters of the '50's. We never had one at our house, so I'm not sure about that either. Nonetheless it has been a recurring fear for me. As far as the airplanes are concerned, I never knew what an airplane looked like close up until my brother left for the Navy and we took him to the airport.

Prior to him being in the service, I would lay out in the field sometimes and watch the airplanes fly over, but they were so tiny and I never had thoughts of ever flying in one at that age. I do remember one time a helicopter had to make an emergency stop in the little community I lived in, but I don't remember any fear from that.

Oh well, for whatever reasons, I am deadly afraid of tornadoes. I don't really fear an airplane crash as far as I'm concerned at this point in my life. I've enjoyed my trips on planes so far.

Any-who, these tornadoes were referred to as being like trains coming in, each adjoined almost to each other.

We finally were hit with hailstones of maybe 1/4-1/2" in diameter while other places around us were being hit with them as large as 4.50". Scary, huh? Ours went over fairly fast. My new roof and I thanked them for that. I could just see all that money going down the drain. Some things can't be help, I guess, and that's one of them. Much worse things could have happened and I'm just thankful they didn't.

It started last night around 9:30 when a tornado hit downtown Atlanta. It hit the Omni, The Georgia Dome, where they were having play offs for the SEC Basketball championship, CNN Center, and several places where lots of activity was going on. Luckily, it hit while things were still in progress and not at the time for them to leave.

Windows were blown out of some of the buildings in downtown one of which was made of all glass. The true damage wasn't known until today, but thankfully no one was killed in that one.
There were two people killed in the upper rural areas of the state during today's storm.

It was just a big mess everywhere in the northern part of the state. I'm glad it's over!

No comments: