Sunday, August 2, 2009

Annabelle with her peaches


If you click on the picture I think you can at least see the pictures at a larger size. You just have to scroll over and up and down to see each of the pictures. Yes, that is a bottle sitting next to her tray, but no, she doesn't use a bottle. That's her baby doll's real bottle which has to be filled with real water. She's never been a bottle girl. I think Nonnie gave her this one to use with her dolls when she was at her house one day recently. She loves her babies having the real thing. I can understand that. I would have loved that myself when I was little had I had such available to me for my dolls.

This layout was just an experiment to see if I could download one since I couldn't change the settings to make it small enough to transfer. After a couple of tries looking for the correct version, I finally succeed with this one.

Just had to add a picture of something that happened while I was out of commision. These pictures were made two or three days after I fell. Broken bones haven't stopped me so far from getting pictures of that sweetie. They may be a little blurry, but they would have been anyway, had I had both hands/arms available.

This was one of my first layouts since I broke my shoulder and arm bones. I had great desire to use my recuperating time in a constructive way, but my shoulder and mind had different plans.
I didn't make the layout several days after the accident. The layout was made a couple of days ago.

My sister and her husband gave Annabelle her very own peaches to enjoy. You can see she was enjoying them. I've also made another couple of her and Mommy making a peach cobbler so her aunt and uncle could also enjoy the remaining one with her. That's for another day, maybe.

This method was a new technique I learned from a lady who sends me her tutorials over e-mail and after a couple of tries I finally found a way to do it to suit my sometimes bouts of perfectionism. I break the bank sometimes just having copies printed until I get them like I want.

I'm amazed at how much the brain cells died and I forgot what I had learned in making my layout. I guess I was using them to recover, but I've been stretching them the last few days and even though I've been very aggravated at times, I'm beginning to remember a lot of the things and learning some new problems that I've managed to create.

Annabelle's Mommy and I had signed up for another course on line, and I was really looking forward to it, but alas three days before the class was to begin, my central vacuum cleaner hose and I had a disagreement about how much work it was going to do. I was nice, I didn't scream at it, I just suggested we get an early start to the day while Granddaddy was still asleep. I really wanted to get out somewhere and make some pictures of flowers or something. It was having none of that. If Granddaddy could sleep in why did I have to be an old fuddy dud and insist on starting the day early? Guess who won? It turned into a great Python and after body slamming me to the floor it immediately settled down for a very long nap, leaving me in pure torment.

I don't argue with him anymore. Granddaddy is in charge of wrestling him within my reach and recently I just started tackling the job of vacuuming once more, but only after the snake is within my safe reach and control. I always warn Granddaddy, though. That thing is vicious! And evil!

It's amazing how much pain just running a vacuum can cause after you've broken a bone, but I've tried to be stubborn like my Mama and not let it get the best of me. Almost six weeks have gone by and I still haven't completed the on-line course. I've enjoyed watching Annabelle's Mommy post her new found talents occasionally on her blog.

Oh, and forget all that hogwash about having a telephone close by or your cell phone on you at all times, blah, blah, blah. I was very close to a telephone but there was no way I could have reached those few inches up for that telephone with that broken bone. Another one of those, you have to be there and have it happen to you, moments. And the cellphone would have been shattered to pieces, so it would have been no good. I have no good advise on how to handle such a situation. I can only tell you how to prevent it. Don't mess with a python vacuum cleaner hose at 8:00 in the morning! Especially after it says, "NO!"

Granddaddy took very good care of me, however, after about a two-week period we were both getting tired of this arrangement. I definitely don't have patience for such. Certainly not the six months (yes, months) the doctor said it would take for it to heal completely. I had other things to do, other plans made and it didn't include six months or even six weeks of recuperating. I guess I found out differently.

It's hard having to depend on someone else especially when you have to have them assist you when you bathe and the ultimate frustration may have been having your spouse roll your hair. Remember, a girl has to have her hair washed and rolled to be able to face another wee. To me, it was a very simple process. Part the hair, roll it up. To him it was something he had never in his life dreamed he would ever be called upon to do. It was as though I had asked him to do the most difficult thing he had ever attempted in his life. The look on his face was really pretty pathetic. I had to feel sorry for him. He didn't cause this but he was having to pay for it just as I was. But I am so thankful it was me and not him! I wouldn't wish that on anybody but certainly not him.

Some asked me why I didn't get it done at the beauty shop. There was no way I could have had them wash my hair. That would have been much more painful than the way we did it. Those sinks are hard enough to tolerate under the best of circumstances, but not with broken bones!
So you do what you have to do. You wash it with one hand and hope for the best.

It took a lot of determination on my part and there was one week when I had to have him hold my bad shoulder up so I could reach the back side and the other side. Then the next week I would prop my shoulder against the wall to help me reach the back side. You certainly get creative when you have an emergency.

My aunt got the biggest kick out of my story about the hair rolling and said she wished she could have seen pictures of him rolling my hair. I assured her we were both so frustrated with each other that had I had a camera in my hand, I might have conked him over the head with it. Well, I might would have, I said. I didn't say I did or would! Just might. And there were the cooking lessons, washing clothes, etc. No, it was no vacation for me, I promise you.

I was so thankful my doctor had told me how to help relieve some of the pain when I asked him on my second trip in two days after I fell. I was still on meds that Friday when I asked him. He immediately said, "Recliner! Sleep in the recliner!" I never would have believed sleeping in the recliner would have made such a difference. I never would have survived this whole episode without the recliner. I slept in it for probably almost four weeks. I've just returned to my bed and though it still hurt like heck, it felt some better, not scrunched up in the confines of a recliner. But believe me, I am so very thankful for recliners. Who could have known that sleeping in a bed, your arm would feel like dead weight. Not me,but it surely does. I hope this is the worst I ever go through. A broken wrist is easy compared to this.

The doctor said my break was one of the most painful breaks you could ever have. He gets no arguments out of me. He said in his short life (he's just a little middle-aged baby) he has had shoulder breaks on both sides, so he knows pain. He's had other breaks to, so he would know.

I am also thankful for what my son-in-law calls Physical Terrorists. I am glad the doctor referred me to them. I'm not sure how much I would have been able to use this side had it not been for my PT. He has helped me through lots of painful treatments without killing me. I still have a ways to go, but I am very happy it has come this way, so far, so good.

I miss playing with my sweet baby girl. She has shared my frustration at times, too. She has tried so hard not to hit my arm and was upset when she thought she had. I had jumped because I was afraid she would hit it and on an occasion or two she did bump it, but she didn't now it. I couldn't make her feel that awful over something she couldn't help. She's about as ready as I am for me to get well.

One day she wanted to show me "her pictures" and wanted to sit with me to look at them. She ran from one side of the recliner and the finally in total frustration she almost cried. She said, I want to sit up dare with you!" I made room for her on my 'good' side and we both enjoyed the pictures and each others company.

Maybe soon I'll feel like posting a few more of my blogs I was trying to bring up to date. But then, I may just get bogged down in doing more layouts.

But for now, I'm just happy progress has been made and I'm on the mend. And my sweet daughter took care of me as well. She prepared lots of good food that kept us nourished, even though she did run out on me one time for several days to go on vacation! Can you imagine?
No, I appreciate everything she's done for us. I don't know what I would have done without her.
She's a good daughter and I hope she's rewarded in the future with an equally good daughter should she ever need her. I'm counting on it, for her sake.

No comments: