Thursday, July 10, 2008

He'd take it if he had to

We have had the idea in the back of our minds since going to the Medieval Times with our daughter and son-in-law on Father's Day. It would be fun to take the boys to enjoy the dinner program one day before long. It didn't work out when we first talked about it; Little Free Spirit was away visiting another aunt for the week and we really wanted both of the boys to go. We weren't really all that excited about paying out another $101.00 plus tip to take each boy at a time. We love them both, dearly, but we could arrange our time better so they could go at the same time, maybe.

Unfortunately they had gotten wind of the plans to go sometime and immediately that was the first question out of both their mouths as well as their other grandparents. Mom had told them about our hopes and had given them their own hopes to go when they came back to visit with us for the next couple of days.

However, we had no more tickets for the kids to get in free and adding another $40 or more each didn't seem like something we were really excited to do. We planned to just wait until we had freebies even if it meant later on in the summer.

We could tell they were a little disappointed even though they tried to keep it to themselves and not complain, so when we got back to our house I decided to check out their website and see if they had a new promotion on. And they did! Yea! Thru September...but why wait until September when we could maybe get reservations tonight. Shouldn't be a problem since it's the middle of the week.

Just before we decided to leave the rain poured from the skies. Heavy, heavy, heavy. We've learned not to complain too much, though since we've been in a drought for the last few years and this year doesn't promise much more.

We decided to continue on with our plans, and by the time we got there the rain had slowed to sprinkles so we were back on track.

The boys and I went ahead and got the tickets while Granddaddy found a place to park, a ways away from the place the program was held. We had about an hour to kill inside. They are smart people. They lure you in with the kids and then you spend more on the kiddos than you would have on the meals for them. Very smart, indeed!

And, of course, as soon as you enter your picture is made. Who can refuse a picture of you and your cuties for the price of $10. This time it didn't have a frame. They've gotten a little cheaper in the last few weeks.

The first thing Little Free Spirit wanted to do was check out the 'real swords'. He held each one carefully, caressing each one and longing for each one more than the last. He fell completely in love with these pieces of metal.

Then he decided he wanted to make a purchase. With our money. He had left his behind. We tried to help him decide which one he would rather have -- a dagger that expanded, a wooden one, a plastic one or what. Suddenly tears fell down onto his little cheeks as he exclaimed, "Alright, if you're just gonna force me to take that one, I will, but it's not the one I really wanted." To which I replied, "What did you really want, Little Free Spirit." Still totally frustrated, he sobbed, "I wanted the metal one." Well, the metal one he had loved so much was only $100.00. I tried to explain to him why he couldn't have the metal one. First because $100.00 was completely out of the question for something for him to play with (not really) and the metal ones were not for little six year old boys to play with. He wasn't tall enough yet for a metal sword.

After he finally accepted my reasoning he chose the wooden one like his brother's and was content the rest of the evening, beating his brother's sword with his, punching everybody within standing distance as he carried it in his little belt loop, and just generally ignoring Grandmother and Granddaddy's warning he had to be careful. But he was happy. And so were we.

Inside the dinner show we were treated to a bowl of vegetable soup, piece of garlic bread, a generous serving of half chicken, spare rib, potato wedge, choice of tea, Pepsi, water or coffee. I couldn't believe they served a half chicken to children even those who were very small, even younger than ours.

The kids enjoyed eating their meal even though it was dark most of the time. The excitement on those two little faces made it worth the effort to get tickets tonight to get into the show. They were so thrilled and screamed and raised their arms in victory for those chosen knight. They didn't miss a beat as they watched in complete awe whether it was when the horses pranced or the knights jousted. However, being little boys I think they enjoyed the jousting much better than anything else they saw the entire show.

They also remembered to tell us several times they appreciated us taking them. Nice little well-mannered kids, don't you think?

And, Little Princess, guess what? You're not the only one who caught the eye of a Knight and enjoyed a flower kissed and thrown by him, so did your Grandmother. Yep, I loved my flower almost as much as you did yours.

This turned out to be a great night to go. There was no large waiting line inside or out. The house wasn't full and we were able to get seats on the second row from the bottom. Our Knight this time wore clothes of Red and yellow. He didn't win final competition this time. Our previous Knight in Blue won tonight, so we didn't mind pulling for him.

At one point the oldest turned to me and said, "It's 8:30 and I'm not even tired yet." His bedtime is around 8:00. (When we got home around 10:00 he still wasn't sleepy. I had left them both in the bed playing the Ninetendo DS game, Little Analyzer's sword at the foot of the bed where he sneaked it in earlier to beat his little brother to the draw in the morning.)

So the cost of two adult tickets and two children's free (ha, ha) tickets: $101.00
Price of two wood swords for two little boys: $20.00 plus tax
Price of picture of two smiling boys and two proud grandparents: $10.00
Tip of the night (I won't embarass him by telling you how much he didn't leave: ?
Watching two sweet brothers re-act to the show: PRICELESS

Keep looking, I'll try to find some time to work on posting pictures later. I just wanted to get the thoughts down before I forgot them.

2 comments:

Mommy Belle said...

It is also quite funny that Little Free Spirit asked me repeatedly if Little Princess got anything when she went to Medieval Times. When I told him "No," he said, "I didn't think so." I guess he wanted to make sure that she had not gotten that metal sword or something bigger and better than him. I think it made him feel special that he was treated more so than her (since he got a sword).

Anonymous said...

I told him that she and I both got a flower from our Knight because we were both royalty. His Mom had bought a small water gun for beautiful blue eyes when we took him back the other day and immediately Little Free Spirit wanted to know what I had bought for him. Nothing gets by him. He wanted to make sure he had his sword and he continued to talk about not knowing why he couldn't have that hundred dollar sword. Little Analyzer offered to pay for his. He said Mom and Dad don't like for them to get things from us without earning them and using their own money. They're teaching them to use what they've earned and not beg. It just hasn't taken with Little Free Spirit, but he is only six!